DOWNEY CIVIC LIGHT OPERA
P.O. Box 429
Downey, CA 90241-0429
(562) 923-1714 – DCLO Box Office
The Downey Civic Light Opera (DCLO) presents a season of three Broadway musicals, at the Downey Theatre, during a season that runs from Fall until late Spring.
Please telephone the DCLO for information about their current or upcoming season.
COLUMBIA MEMORIAL SPACE SCIENCE LEARNING CENTER
12400 Columbia Way
DOWNEY CIVIC THEATER
DOWNEY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
12540 S. Rives Ave.
Downey, CA 90242
10 am – 2 pm: Wednesday, Thursday & 3rd Saturday of each month
By appointment to groups and researchers
Welcome to the Downey History Center. We invite you to view our exhibits, make use of the research library, and join with us in the exciting adventure of historical preservation, education and research. Since history is made by people, we honor the Los Nietos Valley pioneers and our City’s namesake, Governor John Gately Downey.
Resources available to the public include:
- Downey Newspapers:(originals): 1989-1969 [complete]; 1888-1917 [broken run].
- Clipping File: (an on-going project): Newspapers and magazines.
- Photographs: Originals – 1870 to present; copy negatives and prints; 35mm slides of historic scenes and current events; post cards.
- Library: Books, pamphlets and periodicals on Downey, Los Angeles County, California, Indians, missions, archeology, architecture, photography, biography, ethnology, necrology, directories, Downey high school annuals, genealogical research on local pioneers and Governor Downey.
- Micro Film: Federal Censuses for Los Angeles County, 1850 – 1920; Sanborn fire insurance maps of area.
- Original Records: Early Downey school accounts books, insurance registers, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s registers of arrests (1883 – 1919); walnut grower’s stock certificate books; pioneer water company records; post office money order books; burial and cemetery records.
- Periodicals: City of Downey and Downey Chamber of Commerce; subscriptions to many publications about museums, preservation and history.
- Artifacts: Relics of Downey’s past and other items representative of those used in the area.
The Downey History Center is staffed entirely by volunteers and depends upon your donations and membership in the Downey Historical Society.
P.O. Box 763
Downey, CA 90241-0763
(562) 403-2944 – Box Office
The Downey Symphony presents a three-concert season under the direction of Artistic Director and Conductor Thomas Osborn, at the Downey Theatre. Please telephone the Downey Symphony, or visit their websitefor information about the concerts and other activities.
KRIKORIAN PREMIER THEATERS
8200 3rd St
Downey, CA 90241